Thursday, January 4, 2007

Getting Started...

Getting started seems to be the hardest part; what to do first? There are so many possibilities so I'll start with what's in my head at the moment: Color.

Yes, I said it, Color! Don't you often find your mind wandering to what the color trends will be for the new year? I imagine you do if you're reading this blog since I'm certain you have a keen interest in the world of design.

I've always wondered who picks out the new colors for each year, do they just pick colors that haven't been seen for a while in an effort to rotate them back into style or invent new ones? ....Or do they just assign new catchy names to those old rotating colors?


You know what I'm talking about, off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen fluff names used to describe the range of greens out there right now. I'd love to have the time to sit down and match the mixing codes to see how many are actually the same color but given a new name; that could be a full time job for someone seeking work out there, dont you think?

If you think about it, those people making these decisions have a lot of influence in the world because color trends affect everything from fashion to fabrics, carpets, paint, accessories, appliance design, cars, shoes... I could go on, but I think you get the picture!

An article I recently read said that people tend to seek comfort colors for their personal spaces during times of uncertainty and global discord and that natural materials become more popular during stressful times.....that explains the last few years of my life! I guess there are worse things I could be doing, don't you think?

Back to color, ahem, color trends for 2007 are clearly showing a need for calm in personal spaces to balance the negatives of everyday life. In 2006 colors were slightly brighter than what enters the market in 2007; the new trends are defined as comfort colors with optimistic lights and brights, with patterns and textures (natural or faux) becoming as prominent as color itself.


These colors are from the 2007 projections


If you want to read more about color, one of my all time favorite sites is pantone, check it out and get lost in time if you want.

Until next time, keep dreaming in color!!
www.kellciadesigns.googlepages.com/home

1 comment:

Diana Coronado said...

Heyy nice blog!!
I'm a designer, so, i hope u like my blog too and sign with some opinions!!
Ciaoo!!

 

Interior Design is the art of arranging everyday things, beautifully.” --Kelly Garcia

Blogarama Arts Blogs - Blog Top Sites