Friday, June 22, 2007

a toilet is just a toilet until you find one thats unique



N

ormally I wouldn't give a toilet a second look, but while traveling in Japan, I recently did just that!

So I'm like any normal person, you check into your hotel room, you set your stuff down, you start looking around at the room; taking in the design, the fabrics, the materials used throughout the room, the layout, etc. (ok, maybe normal for designers) and there, in a small corner of the bathroom is a very high tech looking toilet in its own room.


I look at it, I see theres an arm like piece coming out of the right side which resembles a remote control. There seem to be flushing options, water control options for cleansing, a deodorizing section with fan levels, automatic lid movement, blow drying and even a section with heat levels. I moved on, I guess you could say it was interesting but not yet fascinating.

Later I come back into the room and give the toilet a test run, to my surprise the amazingly warm seat has grabbed my full attention! I am suddenly hooked on this idea, no more startling cold seats in the middle of the night; this adds a whole new dimension to the water closet and its purpose.

It should be noted that the Japanese
must take their toilets very seriously, as various versions of the heated electronic toilet could be found in restaurants, the train station and pretty much everywhere you can imagine. Ok, there are also some weird versions of a urinal type "squat toilet" installed in a few locations,
but
we won't talk about them, as I still haven't figured these things
out yet! But I do know this, once
you see the two options, you quickly
start looking for the electric one!!

Other things I noted were that each stall contained a wall mounted motion sensor for 'no touch' flushing; another really good idea since I always use my foot to flush-who in their right mind would want to touch anything in a public stall? Another thing was the wall mounted anti-bacterial unit with towelettes to clean the surface. Lastly was a high powered heated air unit with some sort of ultra-violet light to dry and sterilize hands after washing. Now do you see why this was so fascinating? I feel like I've been missing out!

Back home, I see my simple, regular toilet and feel disappointed. No more warm seats, how boring!! Can I survive without it? I mean really, why should I live like this any longer?

These upgraded toilets and public accessories certainly gave me something to think about, this obviously is not a luxury item, it's more like a sanitation necessity. It appears to be the standard in this country, why should our standard be any less?

Trust me, a toilet is just a toilet until you find one thats unique.....
http://kellciadesigns.googlepages.com/home

No comments:

 

Interior Design is the art of arranging everyday things, beautifully.” --Kelly Garcia

Blogarama Arts Blogs - Blog Top Sites